We have used a few of the Genasun up converters on 48V golf carts. They have
worked flawlessly.

Larry Crutcher
Starlight Solar Power Systems

On Apr 13, 2021, at 10:13 AM, Alex MeVay <a...@sunforgellc.com> wrote:

Hi Jason, et al.,

Applications in our size range don't come up too often on this list,
so I've been mostly an appreciative lurker, but I'd like to introduce
myself as the contact for Genasun and Blue Sky Energy, (and the
engineer behind the GVB-8 controller in question).

To address a few of the questions that have been asked, the GVB-8 can
be programmed at the factory with any custom charge profile desired if
none of the off-the-shelf options are a good match.  Efficiency at
~48V nominal is >98% over most of the power range, and the controllers
employ true MPPT, so no configuration is necessary for different
panels.

As mentioned, 10A Imp input is on the high side for the GVB.  Most
Genasun controllers were designed when PV was expensive and panels
were smaller.  Although they do have current limits and thermal
rollback for self-protection, running continuously at the standard
current limit would be hard on the electronics.  Panels have grown,
and there is more interest in PV-heavy installations.  As we redesign
and re-qualify our controllers, we have developed a few workarounds.
The GVB-8 can be ordered with the LOWCURLIM (low current limit)
firmware option, which limits the input current to about the rated 8A,
allowing use with oversize panels, such as the 420W panel in question.

Separately, thank you all for the expertise you share on this list.
I've learned a lot about installation and code issues for small (and
large) solar, and it's given me a great appreciation for the
challenges you face trying to integrate all the various pieces of
equipment to give your customers a good experience.

Regards,

Alex MeVay

Genasun * Blue Sky Energy * http://sunforgellc.com

List rules & etiquette: