Friends:

I have installed only a few Xantrex XW systems in my career and it has been
a long time since the last one.  I’ve got one with a problem and I need
help, please!

I installed a replacement set of Deka flooded, 2 volt, steel jacketed
batteries about a year ago.  The batteries are not performing well.  The
customer reports low voltage alarms and generator run time when with the
previous batteries this would not happen.

Coincidentally I installed an identical set of batteries on an Outback
system in the same area at about the same time.  After a few hiccups (two
premature cell failures and some adjustments in charging parameters) the
batteries in the Outback system are performing well.

The charge parameters for the two systems are identical.  The main
difference is the XW system is set to terminate charge based on charge
taper and the Outback, without an FNDC, terminates charge based on elapsed
time.

According to the manual, one is supposed to be able to set the battery AH
capacity to zero to allow the absorption cycle to terminate based on max
charge time.  We would like to experiment with this.  However our system
will allow only a minimum setting of 50 AH.  The firmware version is 1.00.

Also, I find it odd that the XW system will allow equalization for only one
hour, with no option to change this duration.  Am I understanding this
correctly?

Has anyone experienced any of the occurrences I have cited above?  Do I
need to upgrade the firmware?

The last time I upgraded firmware it took me all day due to how lame the
process is.  I have the original dongle.  Is that sufficient?  Any words of
advice on the process?

Thanks in advance.  I hope I am not asking for more help on this forum than
is appropriate…

William Miller

Miller Solar

17395 Oak Road, Atascadero, CA 93422