Hi William,

Think of Namaka as the collector of the true SOC and other BMS data on the
batteries.  It also acts as a data translator for BMS data to other
communication protocols.  For other inverter brands it can speak directly
to the equipment via Canbus or RS485.  I think it's valuable to be able to
view past data and see what the BMS is seeing.  Provided you can get the
Namaka connected to the internet, the data is hosted on
stellar.newsunroad.com.  As an installer you can get a portal view of all
your Namaka systems regardless of the inverter brand.

The Flexnet DC seems to do quite well calibrating to the Radian provided
that the system is getting full regularly (up to 55V).  I like to start my
generator at around 15% and also trigger the generator between 49V-50V.
Having a 2-min voltage start covers you in case your SOC gets
uncalibrated.  This seems to be between 5-15%.  Blue Planet has Outback
integration guides and I am happy to send one off list that will help you
get started.

It sure doesn't seem like retirement worked out!

Good Luck

On Tue, Feb 1, 2022 at 12:06 AM William Miller <will...@millersolar.com>
wrote:

> Friends:
>

> Thanks for all of the input about the Blue Planet 8kWh configuration.
> Here is the story:  The red lead is supposed to be longer.  It is supposed
> to have enough slack looped behind the panel so you can pull enough out to
> connect to the second from bottom shelf.  There was a redesign and the
> extra length got accidentally deleted.  Blue Planet apologized for the
> problem and pledged to correct it.
>

> I cut the wire ties holding the existing red lead and rerouted it to
> reach.   It is not elegant but it works.  We fabricate cables so I will
> make a longer 2/0 cable to make it look right.  I would have done this
> right away but it seemed like I was missing something.
>

> Jody of Blue Planed was very helpful.  He exhibits the three most valuable
> attributes needed:  He is knowledgeable, professional and he answers his
> phone.
>

> Here are some other things I learned in the process:
>

> 1.   The manual is incomplete in several regards.  For example it never
> instructs to install the orange connectors although at some point you must.
>
> 2.   There actually is a wall mounting kit.  It is called the “stacking
> kit” but it does allow wall connection of a one-high cabinet.  I fastened
> two chunks of strut securely to the wall with Simpson SDS lags, one high
> and one low, and bolted the cabinet to the strut. I used two existing holes
> in the cabinet up high and drilled two more down low.
>
> 3.   There are ground straps that need to be removed from the door and
> the top for those panels to come off.  It would be very easy for these
> straps to contact the positive terminals in the front or top.  Keep them
> secure or tape them off.
>

> I have another question:  The Namaka chassis is a $900 add-on.  When I
> asked if it was necessary, I was told it was needed to pass SOC data to the
> Radian.  I had the presence of mind to ask what the Radian does with the
> SOC value and I was told, “nothing.”  Apparently that is a future thing.
> Also the Namaka is supposedly needed to provide user data on SOC.
> Apparently this tells the user when they are about to run out of power via
> the Namaka web site.  I looked around and I cannot find the Namaka web
> site.  Am I missing something?  Do I need this unit?.
>

> One of the characteristics of Lithium batteries is the flat voltage curve
> during discharge.  I have been aware of this fact but I am not sure I
> thought through the implications.  This is going to make it hard to call
> battery voltage triggered actions, like starting a generator or sending a
> notification email.  So if the Radian cannot process Namaka SOC data and
> the battery voltage caves suddenly at the bitter end, how do we start the
> generator or send low battery notifications?  Will the Namaka web interface
> fill in these gaps?  I am sorry if I am being dense here, but these seem
> like valid concerns.  I am prepared to be taught that I am totally missing
> [...]

Mac Lewis

*"Yo solo sé que no sé nada." -Sócrates*