Date: Wed, 27 Apr 2022 12:08:24 -0400
From: Dave Tedeyan <d...@sungineersolar.com>
To: RE-wrenches <re-wrenches@lists.re-wrenches.org>
Subject: [RE-wrenches] SMA Rapid Shutdown and Secure Power Supply

Hi All,

The last SMA-41 inverter I commissioned, had the option for SunSpec rapid
shutdown with Secure Power Supply. I just talked to a level one tech who
was not particularly familiar, but told me that with a sunspec rapid
shutdown device like the JMS-F, you can still use the Secure Power Supply
as if there was no rapid shutdown. I had stopped installing the SPS on
rooftop systems, because if losing grid power initiates rapid shutdown,
then you clearly do not have the power to run a SPS. But it sounds like
maybe the inverter has the smarts to wake the solar back up once you flip
the switch to activate the SPS. Can anyone here verify this? Have you done
this, and does it work as expected with no extra hardware needed?

Cheers,
Dave

--
[image: Logo] <https://www.sungineersolar.com/>
Dave Tedeyan, P.E.

Hi Dave
I just installed a pair of SB7.7-US41 inverters with the JMS-F Sunspec devices.
The onboard software setup specifies that the Secure Power outlet will not work
with the JMS-F devices.
These are de-activated when the AC power is off, so even if you connected the
Secure Power outlet there is no signal to turn on the JMS-F switches.

Don Barch
Energy Solar