Hi William,

Each Powerwall can accept 5 kW of continuous charge and 7 kW peak for 10
seconds. These values increase respectively with additional units (i.e.
10kW continuous for 2 units, 15kW for 3 etc). It’s my understanding that
each unit can accept 7.6 kW of AC coupled PV. If PV is generating more than
5 kW for greater than 10 seconds , the Powerwall will frequency shift and
turn off PV output. IMO not ideal to oversized a PV array greater than 5kW
per unit for this reason.

No great solution for incorporating a generator to recharge batteries.

Also, the last time I checked, the warranty for a system without internet
connection is cut in half.

I have never installed a Powerwall in an off-grid scenario and don’t see a
real argument for it. However, the 200A transfer switch, stack-ability and
generally lower cost do make it a reasonable option for grid-tied whole
home back up.

Kindly,

Chris

On Thu, Apr 28, 2022 at 9:02 PM Marco Mangelsdorf via RE-wrenches <
re-wrenches@lists.re-wrenches.org> wrote:

> Max rating of the Gateway2 is 200A.
>
> Regarding a generator input, you're correct, there's no means that I'm
> aware of to integrate a backup generator with the Tesla equipment that
> would interact with the solar and storage.
> marco
>
> On Thu, Apr 28, 2022 at 5:45 PM William Miller via RE-wrenches <
> re-wrenches@lists.re-wrenches.org> wrote:
>
>> Friends:
>>

>> I have two questions about AC coupling Tesla systems:
>>

>> 1.   Are there limits on how much power can be AC coupled through a
>> Tesla gateway?  Does it depend on the quantity of power-walls connected?
>>
>> 2.   I understand a Tesla system does not have a separate generator
>> input so if a generator is to be incorporated, a transfer switch is
>> required upstream of the sole AC input.  If the generator were to start on
>> a sunny day, would the gateway protect the generator from receiving sell
>> amps from the AC coupled inverters?
>>

>> Thanks in advance for any information that you are allowed to share.
>>

>> Sincerely,
>>

>> William Miller
>>

>> Miller Solar
>>
>> 17395 Oak Road, Atascadero, CA 93422
>>
>> 805-438-5600
>>
>> www.millersolar.com
>>
>> CA Lic. 773985

>> Pay optional member dues here: http://re-wrenches.org
>>
>> List Address: RE-wrenches@lists.re-wrenches.org

>> There are two list archives for searching. When one doesn't work, try the
>> other:
>> https://www.mail-archive.com/re-wrenches@lists.re-wrenches.org/
>>
>> List rules & etiquette:
>> http://www.re-wrenches.org/etiquette.htm