FWIW, the Enphase generator integration rollout has been less than ideal as
well. Their list of approved generators is highly restrictive and has
obsolete units listed with no clear process for getting current models
approved. How are we supposed to sell these systems without clear and
confident answers for prospective clients? "That generator might work"
doesn't instill confidence. I can't sell that.

I understand there might be some technical reasons that the AC coupling is
difficult to implement, but when I hear that, I don't hear "difficult." I
hear "potentially problematic."

It seems to me like a better approach would be to skip the AC coupling of
the IQ microinverters, batteries, and generator and isolate the generator
from the PV system. Just provide 200A of pass-through from the generator to
the loads and use the generator to charge the batteries (if configured to
do so, to the extent that capacity is available after powering loads). This
would be similar to a traditional multimode inverter setup. The only
benefit I see to AC coupling the generator is reducing fuel burn, but that
would likely be very minimal and ambiguous as far as a selling point. The
downside of course is the need to add another 200A transfer switch to the
Smart Controller.

And the Tesla Powerwall method of generator integration isn't exactly
elegant.

Anyway, I didn't mean to hijack the thread, but the point is that the
generator integration strategies for these new-school battery systems seem
to be flawed.

Jason Szumlanski