I've wanted to find a thermostat that could handle DC Voltage for a while now,
but I haven't done the research. What I've wanted to do is to tap right off the
PV input, through a thermostat, into a simple resistive heater. That way, it
won't drain the battery to warm the array. If the resistive heater is designed
for 120V AC, then it should work pretty well with 3 60 cell modules in series.
I'd want to actually do the math with the Voc and Vmp and temperatures before
suggesting an actual design, but shooting from the hip, If you have 5 or 6
modules in series, then just wire 2 heating pads in series. If you have 10 to
12 modules in series, just put 3 heating pads in series. You get the gist. I
think the only difficult part to really figure out is the thermostat. I don't
know if anyone makes a thermostat that would work with the DC voltage.
Otherwise, you'd need a DC relay or contactor, but then you'd need a source for
the control voltage...

Anyways, just some food for thought. If anyone has ideas about a high voltage
DC thermostat, I'd love to hear about it.

Thanks,
Kienan

Green-Go Solar Distribution LLC
Maxfield Solar LLC (installation and consulting company)
maxfieldso...@hotmail.com<mailto:maxfieldso...@hotmail.com>
(801) 631-5584 (Cell)