Here’s my two cents,

If you do end up putting in two new batteries, and you leave everything wired
the way it is, you’d better really watch the rest of the batteries that are in
that string. The new batteries will have a lower internal resistance, so the
two strings that are all old batteries will have a lower current. This means
they charge much more slowly, and the one string that has the two new batteries
in it will charge much more quickly. This increased current in the one string
often results in overheating of the weakest  cells that are in the same string
with the new cells. While charging, the old batteries that are in the same
string as the new batteries will have a higher voltage because of this internal
resistance.

The worst cells will get the hottest, then the heat will cause the internal
resistance to increase, which will cause more heat. The batteries can seem good
at first, but after a little while, this cycle can get dangerous. The last time
that one of my clients tried this maneuver of replacing two “bad” L16s in the
bank of otherwise “good” L16s, the plastic started melting and I believe it was
close to a catastrophe.

Unless you’re running a laboratory experiment, I strongly recommend never
mixing all the new batteries. Make sure you are fully aware of the hazards, do
you know what to expect in terms of internal resistance is changing the
charging characteristics.

Best of luck,
Kienan

Green-Go Solar Distribution LLC

Maxfield Solar LLC (installation and consulting company)

maxfieldso...@hotmail.com<https://maxfieldso...@hotmail.com/>

(801) 631-5584(Cell)

www.distribution.solar

On Apr 5, 2023, at 7:34 PM, frenergy via RE-wrenches