There are very good roof mounting systems that do not require finding the rafter. There was a thread on this within the past two weeks.  I understand the comfort of lagging into a rafter, but unless you can see the rafters from below, you'll never know 100% you did not come out the side of the rafter, especially if the rafter is checked. We use the hammer, two pilot holes to establish the rafter edge if we are attaching to the rafter. That is a cool tool though that I never saw before.  Chris