I’m not sure if I fully get what’s was going on or where he was measuring… all
of the readings are low (below 1 kW) if he was messing at the meter after the
household load has combined with the PV output, then this could make sense. The
household loads could be using some apparent power, but the inverters are only
putting out real power, so the PV is offsetting all the real power but there’s
still some apparent power left, so the overall power factor is ridiculously low.

On the other hand, if all the loads are turned off and he’s really only
measuring the PV output, then something wrong and I’d think it’s more likely
that the measurements are wrong because I don’t see any way that the PV could
put out such a bad power factor.

Here’s a hypothetical of what I mean in the first paragraph… if load A had a PF
of 0.8, and it’s consuming 3 kW, then it’s apparent power is 3.75 kVA. If the
PV is producing 2.8 kW at a PF of 1, then it’s producing 2.8 kVA. The net
reading would then be 0.2 kW real power and 0.95 kVA. That’s a PF of 0.21.
If the PV increases to 2.9 kW, then the real power is 0.1 and apparent power is
0.85 which is a power factor of 0.11

Hopefully this helps…

Thanks,
Kienan

Green-Go Solar Distribution LLC

Maxfield Solar LLC (installation and consulting company)

maxfieldso...@hotmail.com<https://maxfieldso...@hotmail.com/>

(801) 631-5584(Cell)

www.distribution.solar

On Apr 29, 2023, at 11:03 AM, Darryl Thayer via RE-wrenches