Greetings Mac,
Have you personally had success with this by chance? I inherited
maintenance of a system for a friend whose original installer went out of
business and this was their original approach as well however they and they
had used the 100 amp version (even though the system produces just 24
amps). When I originally inspected 3 years ago the system was fine but the
SMM failed last fall and the homeowner missed out on a few months of
production before noticing. Since this was the first time I had come across
this combo I reached out to Generac for approval and two
different technical support departments seemed puzzled it was used for this
purpose and advised against it. I'm now seeking a similar solution like
William but replacing the SMM with a new one sure would make my life
easier. Couldn't really tell if I was speaking to new employees at Generac
and they just weren't willing to look into it deeper or if it's truly a bad
equipment pairing. Looks like it worked for about 5 years before failing
and I was able to determine the failure occurred the last time the
generator had ran during a grid outage. Another local electrician had said
there had been a bad run of the SMM's which adds additional justification
to perhaps try it out again. If you've used the SMM's for this purpose have
you used the 50 as well as the 100 amp version?

Thanks for the input, Nick