If all the 120 VAC loads have their neutrals land in the main meter panel then
there is no need to run a neutral from there to the sub panel, as long as the
inverter does have a neutral connection back to the meter panel.
Especially when the inverter goes off grid it needs that neutral connection to
the loads neutral in the meter panel.

Don Barch
Energy Solar