That's correct you only need one load controller to commission a sunlight
only backup system.

Strangely enough, I am sitting in the driveway of a sunlight only backup
system owner right now. I found a melted 60A solar breaker in the System
Controller (not my installation, contractor is on the run). The homeowner
said they have been hearing sizzling noises for 6 months! The solar breaker
wasn't tripping, but the 100A load breaker was, and was too hot to touch
when it did. I scolded them for not calling a licensed electrician earlier.
Yikes!

Anyway, they are another example of a dissatisfied owner. They said the
backup performance is way too intermittent. The only thing they are
powering is a refrigerator, some lights, and the 110 volt circuit for a gas
water heater. They have 29 x 400W panels. Yet, they are still dissatisfied.
I told them that a single 5P battery would transform their experience and
likely power all of those loads throughout the night.

As much as I loathe discontinuation of the IQ7, the IQ8 having no ratio to
battery power restrictions is great.

Jason