I said:
>There's one annoying aspect of I-expressions:
> There is no standard representation for the sole symbol "group"

Egil Möller:
>  It might not be very clear in the spec and sample implementation, but if
>I understand your problem correctly, the answer is that group escapes
>group...

Hmm, that DOES seem to work!  That's a reasonable answer - it
just wasn't obvious to me from reading the spec.

I probably wasn't clear in my problem. I want to have a language that is able
to express 100% of all s-expressions, no exceptions.
Otherwise, it's not fully general.  And I need to be able convince OTHERS
that the language is 100% general, too.  In particular,
we need to be able to represent the atom "group", as well as having "group" in
any place in an s-expression... and be able to easily understand how to do it.

It looks like just placing "group" as an item, with no parameters or children,
handles the first case. So the I-expression:
group

maps to the atom:
=> group

That wasn't clear to me, but I guess that DOES follow from the spec.
Hmm, a "helpful hint" might be a good idea.

With that new understanding, I tried to see if I could make lists
with "group" in arbitrary positions, and it looks like the answer is "yes".

The one-element-list case is easy:
group group

=> (group)

Two-element is easy, too:

group group 1
=> (group 1)

group 1 group
=> (1 group)

Three-element, multi-line or one-line:

group group
  1
  2
=> (group 1 2)

group group 1 2
=> (group 1 2)

+ group 1
=> (+ group 1)

+
 group
 1
=> (+ group 1)

+ 1 group
=> (+ 1 group)

+
  1
  group
=> (+ 1 group)

And the >3 element follows from the 3-element case.

Okay, I'm convinced.  That works!

--- David A. Wheeler