>> Now that I've started playing with the text myself, my value to this
>> group will start to drop for giving feedback as an outsider :)
>
> Too late!  You're no longer an outsider. :-).

:) Thanks.

Lately I've been thinking a lot about about insiders and outsiders.
'Outsider' has a slightly negative connotation, but the truth is that
most projects need outsiders as much as insiders. A successful project
grows, and growth = converting outsiders into insiders. This requires
a steady stream of outsiders so that the project can tweak things to
make itself easier to assimilate. I think this idea is systematically
under-valued by the open source community. Kent Pitman articulates
this mistake really well:
http://plus.google.com/110440139189906861022/posts/3kKPoZxdeD2

Right now I am more valuable as an outsider. As outsiders are
gradually assimilated their value drops for a time. There's a point
where they can't give useful feedback anymore, but they don't
understand the project well enough to contribute either. Hopefully
most of them get past that low point and become more productive :)