On Thu, Jul 19, 2012 at 2:45 AM, Alpheus Madsen
<alpheus.mad...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Third, I'm not sure I like the idea of using "." for indentation.  While it
> helps to clarify the structure, it can also clutter the visual presentation
> of the source code.  I like the fact that word processors allows for ways to
> toggle visual whitespace (certainly Kate, and probably Vi and Emacs); and
> sometimes I'll do a formal search and replace between "   " and "--|" and
> back, when I need a better handle on the structure...but those are editing
> functions, and I'm not sure if it would be a good idea to have these things
> formally in the source code.

You don't always get to use a text editor with that.  Consider a long
piece of indentation-sensitive code that you're viewing online on say
github or sourceforge - or just plain FTP for that matter.  I think it
would be much better to actually give small amounts of "." in
strategic places to give a better view.

You don't have to use it all the time - "." as indentation is
optional.  Certainly using "--|" is very heavy, but the point of using
. is that it is much lighter visually.  It's meant to suggest thin
lines as you would put them on a printout, in order to view the
structure of the code without adding any particular meaning.