On Mon, Apr 15, 2013 at 11:12 PM, Arne Babenhauserheide <arne_...@web.de>wrote:

> Just to also state it explicitely: By making inline : close at the end
> of the line, the width-of-characters problem disappears: The only
> thing which can come before a colon that defines an indentation level
> which is relevant to later lines are spaces and space-equivalents
> (blocks of underscores starting at the beginning of the line).
>
> I did not see a drop in readability due to limiting inline : to the
> present line - rather the opposite, as it prompts me to do more tail
> calls. And clarity definitely increased. Just compare those two:
>
>     let : : x : compute 'x
>           : y : compute 'y
>         use x y
>

>     let
>         :
>             x : compute 'x
>             y : compute 'y
>         use x y
>
> I would not be sure at first glance myself what the first block
> does. For the second it’s clear to me.

In Scheme (and probably most other Lisp's) let is idiomatically formatted
as follows:

(let ((x  (compute 'x))
      (xy (compute 'xy))
      (y  (compute 'y)))
  (use x y))

This is why the original Arne formulation was attractive to me, as the let
: : part means that things are formatted closer to how Lisp let
s-expressions are typically rendered by most Lisp programmers.

Personally, I think Wisp is separate from the original Arne formulation,
due to the significant change in : semantics, and I honestly think that it
might be better to have a separate section for Wisp vs. the original Arne.