I considered proposing this before, but one of sweet's goals is to make it
easy to use classic s-expression code while using a sweet reader.

Having the rule "everything added by sweet indentation processing is
disabled within ()" helps that tremendously.

Not to say that this idea has been explicitly rejected already, though; it
hasn't been discussed.  It really depends on a tradeoff: you lose some
amount of back-compatibility to gain expressibility.