OpenID is a great start, I would absolutely love to see a virtual
world with a decentralized login system, and I think millions of
others would too.

But due to you having to type in your credentials each time, OpenID
can get a bit user unfriendly when moving from one HG to another.

However using a client SSL Certificate, you can directly query the
authenticity of a user using SSL and no other user interaction.

It is also possible to tie the public key to a global identity, for
example, this is solved with a relatively new technology called FOAF
+SSL:

http://esw.w3.org/topic/foaf+ssl

This is also operates as backwards compatible with OpenID, so that if
you get OpenID working, it sould be possible to try out a passwordless
experience teleporting between worlds.