Mika Boström kirjoitti:
>   In order to ease testing and distribution in future, we needed to
> create debian packages for the viewer.

Thanks! (again, we've talked on irc too)

> funky problems later on, of which the python module should be the most
> obvious one. I'd like to use the system python where available instead
> of an embedded interpreter but maybe that's just me...

What do you mean exactly? At least when I built the py module on ubuntu,
it built fine against the system python.

But in the running application it has to run embedded inside the viewer
process, otherwise it cannot access the memory nor call functions within
the viewer that are the API for Python written plugins. It's still the
same Python interpreter code though that your system has, just
instanciated within Naali. It should be able to use any python modules
that your system has etc.

Naali is not (currently) a set of Python libraries, which you could use
from a non-embedded interpreter. But that question is AFAIK not related
to building or packaging, but to how the app itself is architected.

> Running the viewer on hardware with Intel video seems to fail. In a
> virtual machine, binary segfaults immediately after initialising GLX. On
> my x86-64 host the error occurs later, when a shader program fails. Most
> likely a hardware and/or driver issue.

On win32 it runs on Intel cards, so perhaps a driver thing?

Running on weaker gfx cards could be supported better by having some way
of configuring which shaders are run.

>   The simplest way to provide these packages should be a debian
> repository, with the missing packages and (daily?) snapshot builds.

That would be great indeed.

~Toni