On pe, 2010-03-19 at 06:39 -0700, jonny wrote:
> Hello Community,
> I am a new RealXtend Developper from Brazil.

Hi, fun to hear of another Brazilian! (I'm obviously not one, but I mean
there have been others posting)

> I'd like to know if is it possible to host realXtend in Google Apps
> Engine.

Ryan was correct in his answer, not out of the box.

With some work, it would be possible to host the data services
(inventory, assets, users) etc. for an Opensim (what we use as server)
grid on the Google app engine, because those are web services. In grid
mode the region server (the actual simulator) talks with them with http.

Would require porting either the current C# or the PHP impls tor Python
or Java which the Google AppEngine supports, and to use the special
storage API (seemed SQL like) there.

Porting the Simian PHP things to Python might be very easy, wasn't
Jeroen already looking into that this week? There seems to be even a
reference website to help with that :) http://www.php2python.com/ .

Apparently there is also an implementation of PHP in Java which can be
run on the AppEngine,
http://www.webdigi.co.uk/blog/2009/run-php-on-the-google-app-engine/ .
But you'd AFAIK still need to port the database code to AppEngine's API,
and the asset etc. service codes are almost nothing but the db code.
Might be easy though.

The (current) realtime client connection to the simulator uses UDP which
the AppEngine doesn't support, it only allows you to respond to HTTP
requests. So using it to host opensim/realxtend regions is pretty much
out of the question, at least if you want to sync movement packets
quickly.

For slower interaction might be possible to use http, and the upcoming
websocket stuff is going to be used for movement etc. in Sirikata, but
that's still in the future and it's not known whether AppEngine will
support it. There is a feature request for websockets in AppEngine and
it's not rejected, but in any timeline either: "Web Sockets API",
http://code.google.com/p/googleappengine/issues/detail?id=2535 .

> Sorry if it is a silly question.. :-)

Like they say, there are no silly questions, and I think this was quite
an interesting one - thanks for asking and interest :)

> João

~Toni