Mikko Liukkonen kirjoitti:
We are implementing realxtend based learning game during this fall. I like to enquire if somebody have made some performance tests and could share the results with us.

Folks at Intel did some profiling and optimizations last year to Opensimulator and are now continuing to work towards allowing large scale mass events etc., they gave a nice presentation in a workshop recently and the material is on-line:

paper at http://vw.ddns.uark.edu/X10/content/ARCHITECTURE--Designing-Extensible-and-Scalable-Virtual-World-Platforms--Bowman-Lake-Hurliman.pdf

and the presentation with more about the future plans in http://vw.ddns.uark.edu/X10/content/Extensible%20Virtual%20World%20Architectures_Slides%20(Lake).pdf

Otherwise the opensim-dev mailing list and sciencesim, osgrid etc admins are knowledgeable about this. Realxtend is not used as much for heavily used things yet, and the server side performance is probably quite identical 'cause modrex doesn't introduce much additional computing.

BTW we are working on a learning environment for school kids using it too, pilot testing etc. will probably be done during fall in that project as well. There's a bit old/earlier news announcement about it at http://maxping.org/business/real-life/realxtend-virtual-worlds-powered-future-school-planned-at-oulu,-finland-.aspx (maxping seems to be offline now though?), more info coming late this month / early july probably and we can of course talk about it too if you're interested.

Mikko Liukkonen

~Toni