Hi

The greatest difference is that the previous generation vieewrs were based
on the Second Life viewer whereas Naali is an entirely new design built from
scratch. There were a lot of things we wanted to do with the original viewer
that would've required significant rewrites to the code and the GPL license
of the Linden Lab code wasn't well liked by the open virtual worlds
community so we decided to start from scratch.

The work began in early 2009 and the first releases thought to be
interesting for wider use (0.1 onwards) were released in early 2010.
Currently Naali already does some things better than the previous generation
viewer and although it doesn't have all the features yet, it's catching up
pretty fast (just check out the changelogs to see the pace the devs are
creating new features and fixes).

Taiga is pretty much the same story, although the changes aren't as
dramatic. It is still based on OpenSim (it's a good project and a solid
platform for virtual worlds) and ModreX, the biggest differences to OpenSim
plus ModreX is the Sciencesim-based OpenSim distribution and Cable Beach
authentication / content delivery services that were added to the mix. Taiga
and Naali are the currently developed versions. It is of course possible to
deploy OS + ModreX servers based on newer OS versions, but there are few
benefits compared to the full Taiga suite. Development on the old reX viewer
has been on hold for a good while now and it is expected to be completely
replaced by Naali in the near future.