We have had some talks about the server side client manager proxy stuff
that Intel is working on -- apparently they have gotten some version to
a testable state now. I guess not 50,000 users yet, but who knows,
perhaps some hundeds soon :o

Test is tomorrow evening Finnish time (10am PT), perhaps we can bring
our share of the load too from here .. and anyone from whereever you are.

The trick is that not all the connections are to the same physical
server, but proxies, which then talk with the actual scene server in
somehow optimized ways. More info in the workshop paper & pres linked in
the original post.

~Toni

--- Begin Message ---
we have been working on a few performance optimizations that should provide
a significant boost in the number of concurrent users that can connect to a
region. if you're up for it, we'd like to invite you help us test the new
architecture on thursday, may 27 at 10:00am PT. the performance test will
take place on the sciencesim betagrid. you can sign up for an account at
http://grid.beta.sciencesim.com/. once you connect to the betagrid, there
will be a greeter on the Newton region on thursday to direct you to the
region where we're running the test.

just to set expectations... this is a proof of concept... it's likely to
break and will almost certainly behave in unexpected ways.

for the techies... here's the overview of what we're working on that dan
lake presented at the x10 workshop:
http://vw.ddns.uark.edu/X10/content/Extensible%20Virtual%20World%20Architectures_Slides%20%28Lake%29.pdf

--mic