Naali uses OGRE rendering, which has been optimized for game-style
scenes with fewer more complex objects, 12 000 prims is probably quite
a challenge for the renderer. Lasse did research on the subject
earlier this year, but we haven't really had the time for programming
the optimizations. Everyone working on the code currently seems to
prefer the usual game-like content creation style, so there hasn't
been a lot of interest in prim optimizations so far.

It would be great if Naali worked better in prim-heavy situations,
though, and if you could help us or know someone who could, we would
welcome your contribution with open arms. We can dig up Lasse's
research results for anyone willing to have a go at the work.