On Sat, 2011-03-05 at 15:19 +0100, Peter Steinlechner wrote:
> thanks for the update, as I was just about to post about the missing
> textures. I have a simlar issue with a group of trees in the chesapeak
> bay demo where the textures dont show.

Yes there is a known issue, certain ones don't (always) show over http
in viewer. Strangely enough they show on the server when you run that
with the renderer, and on Linux showed for me last night in viewer too
(at last built linux naali with nvidia cg so the shaders work). There is
very little difference in how scene loading happens in server/viewer
mode (when rendering enabled, not headless) so is weird, we'll debug
that next week.

> The osprey demo i couldn't get to work at all. I wonder if thats maybe
> in connection with the preview version I had installed or did I

Please use at least 1.0.2 and why not 1.0.3 -- earlier versions had
issues with http assets dependencies from scripts vs. headless server
etc, I'm surprised the December preview works that much.

> Maybe a too early question: how many concurrent users you estimated
> could connect to a tundra server ?

Depending on the application, the current bottleneck is easily the
bandwidth of the realtime communication. Again how much bandwidth is
taken depends on the application -- if all just look at a static scene
and fly around with cameras, that doesn't take any bandwidth (cameras
are local only) you can basically have an infinite amount (is basically
like many users having loaded the same web page, which they can scroll,
but nothing is synched among participants).

If you want avatars for all, the current av app takes quite a lot 'cause
there are no separate movement messages but it all goes with the generic
EC sync. I don't remember the exact figures, Jukka wrote it in some
post, but IIRC he said the bandwidth is already less than with LLUDP ..
and that now you could have 30-40 and with optimizations 60-80 or so.
Doing those optimizations by writing dedicated movement packages is
planned.

To go above that we've been talking about the usual MMO solutions of
separating the scene to different 'rooms' etc. and other normal
techniques to not communicate everything to everyone all the time. Enne
at least needs this I think, but how and who would develop it is not
known yet (we keep planning it in coming weeks).

We will certainly also check out the Opensim scalability work being done
at Intel and continue talks with those guys .. they use server side
proxies (client managers) to kind of facade the sim connection by using
several servers, that are all connected to a master server, and Dan Lake
told on IRC early this week that they've had 1,500 avatars in one scene
now with this technique. For those who want this technique, host a
server farm with numerous sim servers all serving the same scene to a
different group of clients (but all clients still see each other, this
is not sharding), it is yet an open question whether is better to use
opensim and Intel's work as is, or whether the same proxy stuff could be
easily adopted to Tundra too (Dan at least was gonna check Tundra demos
out :). The protocol they use to talk between the client managers and
the master server is a custom thing anyway, not LLUDP (just some ad hoc
messaging with tcp). I don't know yet if/when someone actually needs
this with reX.

> Pedro

~Toni