On Sun, 2011-04-17 at 07:35 -0700, Denis Tarasov wrote:
> Thanks for the info. BTW, how scalable the Tundra solution is? How big
> virtual world it can support and how many concurrent connections are
> possible? Are there any test results somewhere?

No work has been done yet to make it especially scalable. Apart from it
being c++, using bullet for physics and being the quite performant Naali
codebase alltogether.

What do you mean with 'big'?

There are no size limits, as in space, but that's not very meaningful
'cause also with size limits (like slviewers 256m regions) you can just
put a lot of small things there and get a big world :)

I figure you mean number of objects or something more meaningful like
that. That is AFAIK not tested, but I think static objects only sitting
on the server don't basically 'cause any load. So probably you can make
a huge scene where can fly around happily. There is a demo that helps to
test that, scenes/Infinite/drive.js .. which generates road & trees
ahead of you as long as you move with the cam (press 'w' to go forward).
Would be easy to make a procedural generation thing like that to create
a huge scene to see what bottlenecks we'd start getting then.

A lot of moving objects on the server, combined with many connected
clients, is where we have the bottleneck now .. as in taking a lot of
network bandwidth.

The first planned optimization step is to make custom packets for moving
objects. To prepare this, Jukka recently made an analysis of the traffic
in comparison to commercial implementations like Unreal Tournament 3:
http://wiki.realxtend.org/index.php/A_comparative_analysis_of_Tundra_network_usage

Currently Tundra just uses the generic Entity-Component attribute
synchronization mechanism also for movement, there are no separate
movement messages at all but positions are synched like all scene data.
Besides crafting custom messages, Erno has been looking into simply
using zlib to compress the traffic.

For supporting large worlds, there is no mechanisms yet, but some ideas
-- like supporting the normal division into rooms/areas that MMOs do,
and I've been learning and keeping track of the Sirikata Meru and that
Intel scalability work too.

~Toni