The interesting thing about prims is that they're built into SL/Opensim.
Just right-click somewhere and drop a prim of your choice at the location,
then adjust it and join it to another. Right-click again to save a copy of
the compund object to your inventory. Meshes would be just as handy if you
had the same kind of access to basic meshes through a toolbox or menu.
Something like the wikitree (by Jon Brouchoud) that served meshes instead of
prims would be a perfectly acceptable alternative if I could put the
wikitree in the scene or on a widget. (The basic wikitree is now open
source.)

Ultimately it's about convenience and having just enough control of shapes
to get things done quickly. I also like being able to select a face and
assign a textture, or drag a texture onto a face.

Peter