On Jul 25, 1:55 pm, Toni Alatalo <t...@playsign.net> wrote:
> On Jul 25, 2011, at 9:05 AM, ilikia wrote:
>
> > Yep, the 1.08 works. Too bad they're going to terminate it. For 2.0,
> > most of the scenes have to rewritten. Even a few simple scenes I have
>
> Terminating sounds a bit harsh, as it's not going anywhere and you can keep
> using it happily for now .. it is the latest official release for normal
> usage :)

Good to hear.

> 2.0 is largely a cleanup with some backwards incompatible changes, but
> nothing huge, transition should be simple enough.

Yes, nothing overwhelming, but a lot of details everywhere.

> > for 1.*, without Javascript, just a plane and some objects, don't work
> > in 2.0. Cannot load the assets. Hope it's just bugs in the preview
> > version that cause this. Or then they changed even the way the assets
> > are loaded, and the location they are loaded from. Haven't had time to
>
> I guess this is an incompatibility with the TXML files between versions.
> There is no backwards compatibility support in the loading code in 2.0, so
> that's not surprising. One option is that we could make a 1to2 script to
> convert files -- I could do that when get to port the Chesapeake Bay demo and
> perhaps some other scenes (possibly in mid August or so). That would be
> similar to how Python.org provides a 2to3 script to convert .py files between
> the simple backwards incompatible change in py 3.0. Probably much simpler
> than the taiga2tundra converter I wrote earlier.

Sounds great. I had these kinds of problems:

Error: AssetAPI::RequestAsset: Failed to find a provider for asset
"local:m_conc
rete.material", type: "OgreMaterial"
Warning: WARNING: local$1$2$2ottok.mesh is an older format
([MeshSerializer_v1.4
0]); you should upgrade it as soon as possible using the
OgreMeshUpgrade tool.
Critical: OGRE EXCEPTION(5:ItemIdentityException): Cannot locate an
appropriate
2D texture coordinate set for all the vertex data in this mesh to
create tangent
s from.  in Mesh::suggestTangentVectorBuildParams at .\src
\OgreMesh.cpp (line 14
31)

What it causes is that nothing looks like it should.

And using the OgreMeshUpgrade tool had no effect. Ran it with all the
meshes in that scene, the warning won't go away. Also, the camera
showed the scene from above, not from the side as it does in 1.*.
Tried to  add a line like this after line 30 into freelookcamera.js
'transform.rot = camera.AdjustedRotation(0,90,0);', with all kinds of
angle variations, but it did not help.  Also this:

Assumption "this->IsOrthogonal()" failed! in file .\Math\float3x4.cpp,
line 1155
!
Assumption "this->IsOrthogonal()" failed! in file .\Math\float3x4.cpp,
line 1167
!
and so on, line after line... and this warning

31)
Warning: D3D9 : WARNING - disabling VSync in windowed mode can cause
timing issu
es at lower frame rates, turn VSync on if you observe this problem.

Well, a lot of things work now, too. CAVE works, and the py modules
that Jonne added are loaded. Thought I'd try and write a simple py
module next, that would attempt to do the same that my modules do in
1.*. It's hard to test when not even the simple scenes do not work.
Ahh yes, there is no PythonConsole either, although the new
PythonScriptModule was compiled, is there in plugins.xml and is
loaded, and menubar.js has this

if (framework.GetModuleByName("PythonScript"))
        viewMenu.addAction("Python
Console").triggered.connect(OpenPythonConsole);

Python Console would be handy in testing.

> >> to combine and add how to do things like, add a terrain, creating a HUD or
> >> Qt control, adding objects to a scene. This will help everyone getting
> >> started with Tundra. Also the basics with Avatars and mesh importing would
> >> be great also
> > You have a point there. Most of those things are explained here and
> > there in different blogs, but it takes some searching, and also trial
> > and error.
>
> Yah I still think we need a clear manual with all the basics in one place.
>
> ~Toni

Well, anyway, you've done a huge job, and the new package is
definitely more logical and simpler and easier to configure and
compile than 1.*. The bugs will probably go away soon, and we'll be
over this transition period.