On Wed, 2011-12-28 at 18:10 +0200, Jukka Jylänki wrote:
> A small teaser of an upcoming project I got started on during this
> holiday season.
> http://dl.dropbox.com/u/40949268/TundraWebPlugin.png

Cool stuff!

> The image shows Tundra scenes embedded to web pages in Firefox and
> Chrome on Windows. The feature is very experimental (read, hacks all

We are also continuing on the web client front, with the different
approach of not using Ogre & Qt but stuff that's available in the
browsers. I see the whole browser issue as two fold, meaning either tech
that:

a) Works in a browser, so the user can open the world by opening the
familiar web browser and going to the right address. This is what the
plugin gives, and it can make a diff as people don't need to open
separate applications. The difference is not huge compared to using the
full client application, though, as you still need to download+install,
and also the current client opens automatically from web page logins.
But it might still make a crucial difference.

b) Runs without installing anything manually. This is the idea in the
WebNaali (or WebTundra if you prefer) effort with websocket & webgl - it
just works when those techs are available, without any downloads or
installs.

There's now a project that's interested in the b) approach, but that
requires voice (mumble-like talking with people). Reading the mic etc is
not available in browsers yet (WebRTC is in the works though), so we've
now been testing Flash. Flash client techs somewhat fit the b) 'no
install' requirement as some >90% of users have it preinstalled (for
example youtube still doesn't work without it by default).

For voice-in-browser / flash based voice we've now settled on at least
testing the pretty neat looking open source tech from
http://bigbluebutton.org/ . Also making a mumble voip plugin was in the
list of options - i suppose it can work in the plugin you've been
working on?

An interesting thing with Flash now is that it now (finally!) has
hardware accelerated 3d rendering support too. Even Unity3D has it as an
export target in the 3.5 developer beta that came out just before
christmas. Worked ok in our tests so far. Requires updating Flash to the
new version (11), though, but perhaps people do that anyway and new
machines seem to come with it preinstalled (at least a new macbook
did).

We are now making scene rendering tests with the open source away3d
flash lib, which might be suitable for making a reX / Tundra compliant
client (similar to WebNaali). Benefit of Flash over WebGL is that it
works in all browsers (i.e. including Internet Explorer) and it may
possibly be faster (if that stage3d api does more in native code,
haven't checked nor tested yet). And presumably it works similarily in
all browsers (with webgl firefox is currently at least sometimes much
slower than chrome - opera is getting it too in 12 but we haven't tested
that). With the AIR runtime it may also work in iOS (iphone&ipad) and
android devices, but I understood that those don't have the 3d support
yet.

No one seems to be a great fan of Flash nowadays (except the makers of
unity3d flash support who seem enthusiastic about that new runtime :),
but it can anyhow be a practical solution now in that customer project
for which we are making the tests. We can probably tell the results
later (by late January) and if it results in making some kind of a reX
client hopefully have that as open source normally etc. Flash itself is
proprietary but it doesn't prevent doing open source projects on top of
it, there are many out there.

> This approach is parallel to how Unity Web Player works. Perhaps it
> becomes a stable part of Tundra in the future.

Yes this might well complement the native Tundra offering.

BTW Unity3d also seemed to have a Google Native Client (NaCl) version of
the player now - that's pretty cool as that way native code can be just
downloaded and executed, in a secure sandbox, automatically without
manual installs. Unfortunately is again a Chrome only tech so far, the
spec is open and they hope other browser makers would implement it too
but I don't know if anyone will.

>    jj

~Toni