Either I didn't understand your solution or it doesn't work with
REBOL/Core 2.3.0.3.1 for Windows.

>> to-url http://ad2.doubleclick.net/jump/sonar.bebits/default;sz=468x60;ord=979
190170
== http://ad2.doubleclick.net/jump/sonar.bebits/default

This cuts off everything past the semi-colon

>> read http://ad2.doubleclick.net/jump/sonar.bebits/default%3Bsz=468x60%3Bord=9
79190170
** User Error: URL error: http://ad2.doubleclick.net/jump/sonar.bebits/default;s
z=468x60;ord=979190170.
** Where: read http://ad2.doubleclick.net/jump/sonar.bebits/default%3Bsz=468x60%
3Bord=979190170

Using the ASCII code gives a "User Error" error

>> to-url http://ad2.doubleclick.net/jump/sonar.bebits/default%3Bsz=468x60%3Bord
=979190170
== http://ad2.doubleclick.net/jump/sonar.bebits/default%3Bsz=468x60%3Bord=979190
170
>> some-url: to-url http://ad2.doubleclick.net/jump/sonar.bebits/default%3Bsz=46
8x60%3Bord=979190170
== http://ad2.doubleclick.net/jump/sonar.bebits/default%3Bsz=468x60%3Bord=979190
170
>> read some-url
** User Error: URL error: http://ad2.doubleclick.net/jump/sonar.bebits/default;s
z=468x60;ord=979190170.
** Where: read some-url

Cannot use 'read on the url with the ASCII code

>> browse some-url
** Script Error: Feature not available in this REBOL.
** Where: browse some-url

Cannot use 'browse on the url with the ASCII code

>> second-url: make url! http://ad2.doubleclick.net/jump/sonar.bebits/default%3B
sz=468x60%3Bord=979190170
== http://ad2.doubleclick.net/jump/sonar.bebits/default%3Bsz=468x60%3Bord=979190
170
>> read second-url
** User Error: URL error: http://ad2.doubleclick.net/jump/sonar.bebits/default;s
z=468x60;ord=979190170.
** Where: read second-url
>> browse second-url
** Script Error: Feature not available in this REBOL.
** Where: browse second-url

I also tried 'make 'url! with the same results.

-Ryan