----- Original Message -----
From: Ralph Roberts <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Sent: Sunday, February 11, 2001 2:30 AM
Subject: [REBOL] Re: [ANN] mySQL driver for /Core

> >> It works in CORE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
> >>
> >> This is Heaven!
> >>
> >> Thanks, DocKimbel!!! You've come up with something
> >> REBOL's need all along!
> >
> >So, what does one do if your ISP doesn't support mySQL?
> >
> >--
> >Graham Chiu
> >--
>
> I would change ISPs. If they don't have MySQL, they've probably cheaped
out
> on other stuff as well<g>. And MySQL is free!

I've just read some article about PostGressSQL. In its latest version,
PostGressSQL seems to have very strong capabilities, and some ppl.call it
"public" Oracle. It's not probably that fast as mySQL, but it provides you
with transactions.

As for Linux databases, it would be good to have mySQL and PostGress at
least. Maybe we could ask RT to re-generate /Apache, basing it upon latest
/Core. Then your mySQL handler would be already pre-loaded, and the Apache
based solution should be also faster ...
I know there are some plans for Apache module for the future, I just hope RT
makes two versions then - first one - /Core based, with DocKimbel's
protocol, second one - based upon some /Command modules - at least /Library
, or maybe even /ODBC (although it's not too common under Linux imo), and I
would even welcome working library wrappers for some databases. The solution
would cost some money of course, and would be for those, who require better
performance.

Having some of following protocols would be interesting too. It just seems
to me the world is accepting XML based solution for info interchange more
and more ..
http://www.w3.org/2000/03/29-XML-protocol-matrix.html

Cheers,
-pekr-