Thanks for pointing me in the right direction. I found it here in the docs...

shell> mysql --user=root mysql
mysql> GRANT ALL PRIVILEGES ON *.* TO monty@localhost
           IDENTIFIED BY 'some_pass' WITH GRANT OPTION;
mysql> GRANT ALL PRIVILEGES ON *.* TO monty@"%"
           IDENTIFIED BY 'some_pass' WITH GRANT OPTION;

A full superuser who can connect to the server from
anywhere, but who must use a password 'some_pass' to
do so. Note that we must issue GRANT statements for
both monty@localhost and monty@"%". If we don't
add the entry with localhost, the anonymous user
entry for localhost that is created by
mysql_install_db will take precedence when we
connect from the local host, because it has a more
specific Host field value and thus comes earlier in the
user table sort order.