sort/reverse message-block

Did not work. Look at this page to see what I'm talking about. The messages
should be appearing based on time of creation, with the last created
message at the top of the list. Something is wrong.

http://www.fargonews.com/cgi-bin/messages.cgi?actionType=display&messageType=news&messageID=none

Ryan C. Christiansen
Web Developer

Intellisol International
4733 Amber Valley Parkway
Fargo, ND 58104
701-235-3390 ext. 6671
FAX: 701-235-9940
http://www.intellisol.com

Global Leader in People Performance Software

_____________________________________

Confidentiality Notice
This message may contain privileged and confidential information. If you
think, for any reason, that this message may have been addressed to you in
error, you must not disseminate, copy or take any action in reliance on it,
and we would ask you to notify us immediately by return email to
[EMAIL PROTECTED]

                    "GS Jones"

                    <gjones05@mail.        To:     <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

                    orion.org>             cc:

                    Sent by:               Subject:     [REBOL] Re: files out of order

                    rebol-bounce@re

                    bol.com

                    03/29/2001

                    02:07 PM

                    Please respond

                    to rebol-list

From: <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
> I have a directory of XML-formatted messages,
> each saved with a numeric
> filename based on the time of creation, for example
>
> /news/20010329105032.txt
> /news/20010329105033.txt
> /news/20010329105034.txt
>
> I use the following function to read the directory
> and to create a block of file names, with the
> intention of placing the newest files first in the
> block (in other words, the files with the highest
> number first in the block.)
>
> read-directory-messages: func [
>     "Read a directory of XML-formatted standard messages with the
directory
> determined by messageType."
>     message-directory [block!] "A block of file names corresponding to a
> directory of XML-formatted standard messages."
> ][
>     message-block: copy []
>     foreach file-name message-directory [
>         file-contents: read file-name
>          insert message-block file-contents
>     ]
> ]
>
> But using the above function, I get files showing up in the block out of
> order. Am I doing something wrong?
>
> Ryan C. Christiansen

If I understand your intention correctly (which is a big assumption for me
on some days :-), then I would suggest reverse sorting the file names
before
using the foreach block.  For example, add this line before the foreach:
    sort/reverse message-block
The file names should then be sorted largest first, therefore allowing the
foreach to iterate through the block in this order.  Worth a try anyway.

Regards,
--Scott Jones