[rebol [
  comment: {

 JUF (just for fun):

 if iam done this right, /view can
 grayscale and dump an image 500x350
 in ~2.5sec (k2/350)
 dump means, it extracts one color from each
 pixel in a loop (*175000) (dont know which color :).
 should do this
 " tricky part.. Image encoding must be direct hex stream (1,2,4
 or 8 bits per pixel, greyscale)"
 with 8bit/pixel?

 don't know if its fast enough compared to native tools,
 and you need a running x-server with access for the cgi-owner
 to use it.. (or windows?)

 now learning pdf ..
 oh yes, the code is high dirty,
 yell if you need cleanup :)

 Volker
}]

 ;---
 ;some helpers

 ;debug2/cmd source ???
 ???: func ['wort wert] [
  print [mold :wort " : " mold wert]
  wort wert
 ]

 ;---
 ;get image

 b: load read-thru
 ;http://www.rebol.com/view/demos/palms.jpg
 http://www.rebolforces.com/reb/images/rebolt.jpg
 probe type? b

 ??? a: b/size

 ;---
 ;a bit show-sugar before

 h: to image! layout [origin 0x0 image b effect [grayscale]]
 view layout [
  title "here is the used picture"
  across image b image h
  return
  button "benchmark" [unview/all]
  text "read on console.."
  ;box a effect[cross]
 ]
 ??? c: a/x * a/y
 d: make binary! c

 ;---
 ; the benchmark (!!)

 do [
  t1: now/precise

  ;---
  ;the real working part.. !!!!

  i: to image! layout [origin 0x0 image b effect [grayscale]]
  repeat f divide length? i 4 [
   insert tail d to char! i/:f/1
  ]

  ??? t2: now/time/precise - t1/time
 ]

 probe length? d
 ;halt
]

Am 04.05.01, 08:24:18, schrieb Joanna Kurki <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> zum
Thema [REBOL] Re: Can Rebol Do?. (was) Re: International REBOL Use:

> >Atachment easy, Sterlings %attach.r in the script-library.
> >Pdf? I found nothing ready i know not much about it.
> >Some kind of postscript with some packing? grin

> In my original implementation idea I'm going to Hand-code PS  (it's
yet
> another programming language, looks related to Forth) and then find
some
> Linux tool (Ghostscript package has tool named ps2pdf and it's part if
> standard Linux RH7)  to convert it into PDF..

> I know it's possible to use some 3:rd part library to make PDF
directly
> within PHP but those libraries have such high licensing fees they
don't fit
> into this project. (not my fault, I did not sell this idea it to
customer,
> I would have just offered plain ascii E-mail ;-)

> >Use your pdf-tools with /Pro /Command?
> >Or php calling some rebol-scripts?
> >Call the tools for php, make the files,
> >then call a caller for %attach.r (args..)
> >(since it sounds the attaching is a project in php :)
> >
> >Hm, with postscript the email would look like
> >
> >  ...lots of stuff...
> >  {line 1 of email} show-somehow
> >  {line 2 of email} show-somehow
> >  size-of-pic
> >  pic-somehow-encoded

> This is the tricky part.. Image encoding must be direct hex stream
(1,2,4
> or 8 bits per pixel, greyscale) ... This is not what I want to do with
PHP.