I think I get what you're at.  Ie, if you can compare a "which comes first?" on
strings, why not order simply based upon left-to-right in pairs, treating them as if
they were strings as well.  So, 5x1 is greater than 4x9, but less than 5x2 .. yes?
Although, what actual use this would be, I'm not sure of.
   *blinks*  What use /do/ you need (pair! > pair!) for, anyways? *pokes original
poster* ;)  Thought exercise? :)

--Charles

****
Dixit Allen Kamp (09.58 05.02.2002):
>Pairs also represent size. If you only compare X then this falls apart when
>dealing with size. Which is greater 5x1 or 3x2 ??

You miss my point. What I mean is, although there _are_ different ways to look at
this, a simple left-to-right ordering is what is implemented in other cases, so...

But as I said, I'm just a Bear of Very Little Brain...

~H

Prętera censeo Carthaginem esse delendam