Jason Cunliffe wrote:

>Things are heating up in FlashMX world..
>
>http://www.moock.org/
>
><quote>
>unity is a java-based server that manages socket connections initiated by
>flash's XMLSocket object. using unity, you can write multiuser applications
>in flash with minimal fuss, and that is good.
></quote>
>
>What would it take to do a REBOL/Rugby version of moock's Unity?
>
>./Jason

Hi, so, I just don't understand, what is the point? We have Rebol and
Rugby written in Rebol, transparently supported socket architecture thru
the ports. We have best Inet language so far. Flash has to use glues ;-)

Check the following:

1) pricing
please note unity's new (lower) pricing scale!

Licence Description Cost

professional licence single-domain only, lifetime upgrades, no user
limit* USD $700
express licence single-domain only, lifetime upgrades, 100 user limit
USD $100
beta promotional licence discount professional licence for qualifying
beta participants 1/2 original cost (USD $350/$50)
non-commercial licence artist, non-commercial, academic use free
trial licence any application with 10 or fewer users free

2) requirements
. java 1.2 or higher running on *nix or windows
. ability to bind to a port over 1024

3) the size 1.7MB (there is Xerces in archive, which is some kind of XML
parser IIRC), but anyway, who cares :-)

4) The site states Unity server is down, they have apparently problem
with throughput:

"unity will be down for a bit while we increase this machine's thread
limit. testing is going well...thanks for the help! please reload for
progress updates... "

5) I would not like to code in something like:

http://www.moock.org/unity/clients/unityPush.html

I just want to open port, insert port, copy port, close port ;-)

-pekr-