Hi all, talking about non-profit: I'm the president of an Italian ONLUS
association (non-profit organization which helps people less lucky than
me). I don't gain money from my organization (on the contrary, I spend
much money to maintain it!) and I think would be a great idea to make
Rebol free (even powerful versions like command/view) for non-profit.
Why?

1) Advertisement! I could create an entire Rebol site, making Rebol
more and more popular.
2) If I could use Rebol for free, I could make many things on my site
(more than I make now)... why? since now I have a free account
(XOOM.IT) and I cannot create DB, CGI, etc... but with Rebol I could
create full-featured client programs that manage data in the server.
3) Rebol company will make a very good action! Non-profit organizations
like mine work to improve the life of other people, to improve the
World were evrybody lives, etc... (many jobs can be done from non-
profit organizations). Rebol will help us to act our plans. This could
be a kind of charity. I think every company (with profit), every single
person would give something to help the people who already make
something to help (gratis!) other people, the nature, etc...

bye!

> Ryan:
> > This is a great idea Sunanda.  Not only is REBOL is free for non-
commercial
> > use
> >  and could use the exposure, but I could too.  I think I will make
a point
> > help
> >  out some of the local non-profits.
>
> Don't let me discourage you, but there are licensing complications
even with
> non-profits.
>
> I started these applications as they are non-profits I support with
IT needs
> I could fulfil. Rebol was (still is) extremely attractive for its
> multi-platform support -- a typical non-profit of any size has
machines
> stretching back to the stone age, as well as more recently donated hi-
techery.

> The problem for me is fourfold:
>
> -- that Rebol licensing is unclear for non-profits. The licence only
> distinguishes non-commercial from commercial. As far as I can tell,
that's a
> personal use / corporate use distinction. Where a non-profit who may
have a
> commercial wing (e.g. running thrift shops and the like) fits is not
clear.

> -- I'd like to use View/Pro not just View as I don't want to deploy
> applications with poor security, so I really need the encryption.
There's a
> cost there of USD49 or USD99 per seats. For some NPs that's okay --
I'd tell
> em to stop moaning any pay up. But for poorer ones who need tens of
seats,
> the several thousand dollar mark (even at the lower price) is too
high. I've
> asked RT several times about cheaper licencing or site licensing for
NPs, but
> with no result.
>
> -- Similarly, USD350 is way to much for Command/Pro, with which some
of the
> applications would benefit. Again no sugegstion from RT that a lower
price is
> possible.
>
> -- Encap looked a possibility. But it needs a developer licence for
each
> platform supported, and a cost model assuming I'm selling the
applications
> rather than either donating them or passing them on at cost.
>
> RT are aware of the issues, but move slowly. Here's part of an
earlier
> exchange:
>
> Scott : (RT commercial manger)  [talking about IOS, not standalone
Rebol] For
> those Non-Profits that want to host their own server, we are
discussing plans
> right now.  Not quite sure what direction it will take, but I'll get
back to
> you for feed back as soon as I can.
>
> Sunanda: Thanks for the info. The sooner you have a pricing
structure, the
> quicker we could start haggling!
>
> Scott: Sounds fun!
>

> That was 26-Jan-2002. No further word,
>
> Sunanda.
> subject, without the quotes.

Telefono:     347.63.43.231

--
Prendi GRATIS l'email universale che... risparmia: http://www.email.it/f

Sponsor:
Il modo più semplice e conveniente per mandare bouquet e composizioni floreali in
tutta Italia.
Rapporto personalizzato con il Tuo fiorista, ad i prezzi più bassi del Web.
La qualità è garantita!

Clicca qui: http://adv.email.it/cgi-bin/foclick.cgi?mid=367&d=22-3