Hi, Mark,

I think you've made my point...  ;-)

[EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

> In a message dated 6/7/2002 3:20:21 PM GMT Daylight Time,
> [EMAIL PROTECTED] writes:
>
> > Why we're on the subject of new datatypes, what others are needed?
> > Degrees (and minutes) perhaps?
>
> How about these;
>
> complex!  -1.234+567i          ; complex numbers
>
> ratio!   2/3                            ; fractions
>
> co-ord!  2.34x1.23                 ; co-ordinate - more precise than pair!
>
> octal!    377oct                     ; octal numbers - integers
>
> hex!     FFFFhex                  ;  hexadecimal numbers - integers
>
> binary!   101010bin               ;  binary numbers - integers note current
> REBOL binary
> is actually a binary-string! and not a numeric value
>
> stack!     s[ 1 2 3 4 ]            ; a stack block! which grows from bottom
> up and for which insert is quasi-elementary - really the opposite of a block!
> ie a reverse block!
>
> >> make stack! [ 4 3 2 1 ]
> == #[stack! [1 2 3 4]]
>
> unicode-char!  #'a'               ; utf unicode two byte multi-lingual
> character sets
>
> unicode-string!  u"Hello"  & u{Hello}   ; ditto as above for uni-code strings
>
> typed-series!   vector decimal! [1.1 2.2 3.3]  ; more efficient tpyed block!
> storage
>
> >> vector integer! [1 2 3 4]
> == #[vector integer! [1 2 3 4]]
> >> vector integer! [1 2 3 "hello"]
> ** script error!  Value "hello" of type string! expected type of integer!
> ** near vector integer! [1 2 3 "hello"]
>
> And these are only for starters ...

Is it really in the best interests of RT, REBOL the language, IOS,
or the REBOL community for RT to be dealing with everything we can
imagine????

Let's not forget that the foundation of the language something called
REBOL/Core!  Provided that we have the ability to extend the language
ourselves at the mezzanine level, I respectfully suggest that RT can
be using their time more productively on other issues than shopping
lists such as the above.

-jn-

--
; Joel Neely                             joeldotneelyatfedexdotcom
REBOL [] do [ do func [s] [ foreach [a b] s [prin b] ] sort/skip