Hi, Romano,

No really useful suggestions, but...

Romano Paolo Tenca wrote:

> Hi, Cyphre
>
> >I have this problem, how to 'read following url from rebol?
> >http://slovnik.nettown.cz/?co=naslepo&kde=A-%C8
>
> read to-url "http://slovnik.nettown.cz/?co=naslepo&kde=A-%C8";
> == {<!doctype html public "-//w3c//dtd html 3.2 final//en">...
>
> But load fails:
>
> read load "http://slovnik.nettown.cz/?co=naslepo&kde=A-%C8";
> ** User Error: URL error: http://slovnik.nettown.cz/?co=naslepo&kde=A-È
> ** Near: read load "http://slovnik.nettown.cz/?co=naslepo&kde=A-%C8";
>
> I do not know why. Any ideas?

I notice that LOAD seems to be doing something interesting with that
percent-escaped character at the end, and possibly transforming it
into a character that's not legal for a URL (prematurely?).

    >> read to-url "http://slovnik.nettown.cz/?co=naslepo&kde=A-%C8";
    == {<!doctype html public "-//w3c//dtd html 3.2 final//en">

    <!--
    Copyright (C) 2000 Petr Kùra, [EMAIL PROTECTED]
    All rights reserved...
    >> read load "http://slovnik.nettown.cz/?co=naslepo&kde=A-%C8";
    ** User Error: URL error:
http://slovnik.nettown.cz/?co=naslepo&kde=A-È
    ** Near: read load "http://slovnik.nettown.cz/?co=naslepo&kde=A-%C8";

Notice that the message is

    User Error: URL error: ...

and not

    Syntax Error: Invalid url ...

as in

    >> read load "http://%";
    ** Syntax Error: Invalid url -- http://%
    ** Near: (line 1) http://%

implying to my eye that LOAD was happy but the result wasn't usable
by READ.

When I say something like

    == "http://%77%77%77.rebol%2ecom/";
    >> load gorp
    == http://www.rebol.com/

LOAD seems to want to unescape the string.  That's OK in this case,
since all of the escaped characters are actually valid in URLs, but
in the case of

    >> bletch: "http://slovnik.nettown.cz/?co=naslepo&kde=A-%C8";
    == "http://slovnik.nettown.cz/?co=naslepo&kde=A-%C8";
    >> load bletch
    == http://slovnik.nettown.cz/?co=naslepo&kde=A-È

the (premature) unescaping of "%C8" back to the high-bit-on accented-E
character may be the source of grief when that literal character is
deemed invalid for use in a URL.

Hope this helps!!!

-jn-