I know that this is *insanely* late, but I just finally got around to this
message.  (I've been deleting messages/threads I'm not interested in, and
saving interesting ones for later.  Now happens to be later :P )

<snip>
http://www.rebol.com/docs/core25.html
> >and in particular the section on get/set-modes.
> >
> I thought so :-) Well, I just looked into docs and it works a little bit
> strange way - I mean - syntax ...
>

> ----------
>
> ->> get-modes somefileordir 'file-modes
> == [file-note creation-date archived script (...a few more...) ]
  <snip>
   Actually, I just read the text on it (the core25.html I have is more of a
changelog; heh).  I rather like the format.  I think that the builtin help
needs to be extended a touch, but otherwise, after having read the actual
documentation, I think this is a neat system.  Of course, there lies the
problem that not all modes are available on all OS's, so you have to code with
that in mind.  But the basics are available all around.  So if you're already
familiar with what modes are available on all or target platforms, it's an easy
task:
get-modes %file 'read
   Cool.
   Um, though, I've encountered a problem...
>> get-modes %index.html 'file-modes
== [creation-date access-date modification-date owner-write archived hidden
system full-path]
>> get-modes %index.html 'port-modes
== [read write binary lines no-wait direct]
>> get-modes %index.html 'read
== false
>> get-modes %index.html 'write
== false
>> get-modes %index.html 'binary
== false
>> set-modes %index.html [read: true]
** Script Error: Invalid argument: read
** Near: set-modes %index.html [read: true]
>> set-modes %index.html [write: true]
** Script Error: Invalid argument: write
** Near: set-modes %index.html [write: true]
>> set-modes %index.html [binary: true]
>> get-modes %index.html 'binary
== false
>> get-modes %index.html 'hidden
== false
>> set-modes %index.html [hidden: true]
>> get-modes %index.html 'hidden
== true

   Am I missing something?  Why are read/write unsettable?  I know the
documentation says that only binary, lines and no-wait are settable... but why?

--Charles