Not really. Not in a reliable cross-platform way.
You will need to make library calls using view/pro.

In windows, you can use

        hide lay

to minimize a layout face (a window),
but that doesn't always work the same way in
different versions of windows.
To maximize, I suppose you could try using

        unview/only lay
        view/new lay

Anton.