Watching the thread on error handling ...

Giving useful information seems to me to be at least 2 parts:

1. A specific operation fails - need to have information which readily reveals domain
error, length error, mismatched operand types, etc.

2. Contextually, it might be important for the developer to control what gets
displayed for tracking purposes.

Since having one scheme (as the language developer) that suits everyone's taste is
very difficult, maybe a compromise could be had?

As a developer, I would like to be able to place begin/end markers in my code.
The purpose of the markers is to signal the language execution engine the type/degree
of capturing trace information. I can imagine several fine/coarse grained levels. The
coarseness of the tracing could be at the function level, the statement level, maybe
even other levels.

I like this approach because I probably don't want the execution engine burdened with
something which might yield an overall performance hit. I/you can probably be the best
judge of when/what we need information about. It would be up to us to cause the
performance hit of tracing/tracking flow of control.

Comments?

Dick