Well, I solved one of my own problems.  It was a network timeout error.
Default timeout was 30 seconds.  It was taking ~45 to negotiate the connection
with my FTP server.  However, instead of telling me "network timeout", REBOL
was telling me there was something wrong with my login - suggesting the name or
password were fubar.  Not the case at all.  It just wouldn't tell me network
timeout.
   Also, system/schemes/ftp/timeout: 0:02 sets it to a 2 minute timeout for
FTP.  Theoretically.  With write/lines ftp://..... it still only waited 30
seconds before dying.  I had to set system/schemes/default/timeout for it to
work.  *boggle*  Should I post this to feedback, or is this a known problem, or
am I just doing something dumbassed?
   Oh, er, 2.5.0.3.1, REBOL/Core for Windows.

--Charles