From: "Maxim Olivier-Adlhoch" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Sent: Tuesday, September 16, 2003 5:31 PM
Subject: [REBOL] Re: newbie: Examples / tutorials for networking protocols ?

> Welcome Arie,
>
> might I add that since all accesses to external data are done internally
via port objects ( (including files, networks, even audio and the clipboard)
they are all pretty much accessed the same way... not just the network
stuff.

> for example, reading text from the clipboard is as easy as:
>
> read clipboard://
>
> (be carefull, rebol currently only supports text in the clipboard)
>
> this way, the number of commands and procedures is reduced and instead of
learning new protocols and schemes, you concentrate on WHAT you extract or
push from/to them instead of HOW you do it.

> if you still want to access the low-level stuff (like I did recently, to
call a chmod when transfering *.cgi files in the ftp protocol), you can look
at an article on the rebol forces (www.rebolforces.com) site written by Jeff
Kreis which is an excelent tutorial on the basics of creating your own
protocol and/or modifying the current ones.