Thanks, Anton!

You wrote:
> > (A) f2 just tries to use whatever version of f1 is currently
installed.

I'd go for this option as it's the most simple option, in breaking as
soon as possible. The other options involve the higher level function
"knowing" too much about the lower level function.

The scenarios remind me of Windows "DLL Hell" and the solution that MS
came up for it for .NET. That solution was basically to not use DLLs. :)
Instead, supply all the software (including DLLs) for an application
with the application's main .exe. Those DLLs supplied with the
application are the ones used by the application. Only if DLLs have the
same version are they shared, IIRC.

We can use a similar principle. When distributing a Rebol script,
include all the functions (words) that the main script requires. Of
course, the problem here is that most of us have nice toolkits of
functions that we want to use in our main script applications, and it's
pointless manually copying and pasting from our toolkit because that
just produces multiple copies, with no definitive, authoritive source.
So the solution to me, is for the release version of the
script/application to have the library/toolkit functions the script
requires, automatically inserted into the script just after the Rebol
header. That way, the script application will create it's preferred
environment, regardless of previously launched library programs.

Of course, there can be a problem with what to do, when current and past
Rebol interpreters have faults and need patching. Perhaps we should prod
Rebol HQ into action? :) It would be nice to have defects fixed, and old
versions of Rebol interpreters removed.

What do you think about it? Is there something I've missed?

Andrew J Martin
Attendance Officer
Speaking in tongues and performing miracles.
Colenso High School
Arnold Street, Napier.
Tel: 64-6-8310180 ext 826
Fax: 64-6-8336759
http://colenso.net/scripts/Wiki.r?AJM
http://www.colenso.school.nz/

DISCLAIMER: Colenso High School and its Board of Trustees is not responsible (or
legally
liable) for materials distributed to or acquired from user e-mail accounts. You can
report any
misuse of an e-mail account to our ICT Manager and the complaint will be investigated.
(Misuse can come in many forms, but can be viewed as any material sent/received that
indicate or suggest pornography, unethical or illegal solicitation, racism, sexism,
inappropriate
language and/or other issues described in our Acceptable Use Policy.)

All outgoing messages are certified virus-free by McAfee GroupShield Exchange
5.10.285.0
Phone: +64 6 843 5095  or  Fax: +64 6 833 6759  or  E-mail: [EMAIL PROTECTED]