Dr. J. J. "One Eyed CrackerJack" Harbaugh

-----Original Message-----
From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] On Behalf
Of Mike Loolard
Sent: Friday, November 21, 2003 10:48 PM
To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: [REBOL] Some other questions

I hope you guys don't mind me asking some other questions I have come
up with meanwhile.

1) If I have an object - how do I create an array of objects with it ?
for example

chicken: make object! [
tasty: "wings"
]

now I would want to have an array of objects of that type.

I tried it like that:

chickenfarm: make chicken [] array 10

It doesn't seem to work that way, though ?
I've read all stuff available about objects and array on the REBOL
pages, but either I'm blind or there isn't anything about creating an
array of objects ?

2) How do you create custom types ?
I am talking of a way to emulate the typedef behavour in C ? How would
you go to create an "enum" type in REBOL ?

3) Back on objects:
objects seem to be pretty neat in REBOL - but I didn't find anything
about implementing and using constructor/destructors ?

I know I could manually add a function that serves as constructor each
time I create an object, but is that the way REBOL requires it ?

4) In the same context:
how do I actually 'free' memory/variables ?

5) On the webpage about objects one passage mentioned that
"sub-objects" don't get cloned- what does that mean ? Reading that I
would expect that all objects within an object aren't available when I
create an object on the basis of that object. But I seem to be able to
use it anyway. Maybe I am getting something wrong here ?

6) in VIEW/VID: How do you open/create several windows simultaneously
? I am also talking of being able to refresh each window.

7) Trying to find a solution to the problem above I looked around the
REBOL webpages and searched for a possibility to create threads -
there doesn't seem to be anything like that - how is "parallel
processing" achieved in REBOL ? How would you update a dialog but also
keep a timer running as well as rotating an
image ?

8) On image rotation: is there any simple way to overcome the 90°
restriction - I am not tallking of bitshifting manually ;-)
What's the reason for this restriction ?

9) Image creation/processing

I read it would be possible to create images on the fly and work with
these then - is it possible to store an entire (view) layout within
such an image ?

Could you for example draw a line on a "virtual" view and save this
then to an image file ? Or would you rather simply take the
coordinates of the line and create the image with that data ?

10) Image processing

Is it possible to create new images (in memory) by adding other images
to the original image at certain coordinates ?

Having tried to overlay transparent GIFs in a VIEW layout, I noticed
the transparency attribute doesn't seem to be preserved ? At least
transparent areas of my GIF didn't show the image below that one, but
rather a WHITE area. IF transparent GIFs are supported: what do you
need to do to really display them properly ?

11) VID controls

If I need certain additional features for a basic control - like a
progress bar or slider, how do I add these ? Do I need to edit the
dialect ? For example, I want a progress bar with tic-marks as well as
a non-continous filling of the bar. So, is there any way to
"sub-class" controls easily to enhace their
functionality/appearance without having to re-write everything from
scratch?

12) Is there any really thorough information available on ACTIONS and
EVENTS with REBOL/VIEW ? They documentation on the REBOL pages seems a
bit 'poor' on that matter. I don't know yet, how these things are
really done behind the scenes.

13) I didn't see any designated function to set pixels at certain
coordinates in a layout- my workaround was using the line word - with
1 width/height. How is this really done ?

14) How do I catch mouse events - such as a mouseover event ?
I read about 'over' - it seems to do exactly what I need - I want to
display controls in a certain area only when the mouse cursor is in
that said area. Also, that functionality could be used to add
tooltip-like behaviour to buttons and menus.

Again: thanks for your help and patience folks - it's really
appreciated !!

--
regards

---------