Dr. J. J. "One Eyed CrackerJack" Harbaugh

-----Original Message-----
From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] On Behalf
Of [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Sent: Sunday, November 23, 2003 11:17 AM
To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: [REBOL] Re: [python]

---Tim Wrote:---

> * Maxim Olivier-Adlhoch <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> [031118 10:20]:
> >

> > when I know that it takes 50 modules to do what rebol does with
the
> > amount of code in the equivalent of 3 of them (without needing to
> > actually load them ... ;-)
>
> > This while running 5-10 times faster... and having a much more
> > reusable
>  code base in any circumstance.
>
>   I've really not seen such an all-around speedup of rebol over
python
>   to that degree.  What comparisons have you made?
>
>   I would feel safe suggesting that line-for-line, (speaking from my
>   experience only) rebol is probably 50% more productive than
python.
>   [...]

I was basing that on a mail posted on this list (sometime ago) from
someone who had done in-depth benchmarking.

it is possible that the gap between the two has lessened since then,
especially since python now uses more and more C based compiled object
modules, which, like any rebol native, execute much faster.

you are right, in what I can see from more recent comparisons. they
currently seem pretty equal in speed.

one thing though is that when writing code in rebol, performance is
very elastic.  yesterday I was having fun profiling a hashing loop:

for 100000 ops, time went from:

50.1 seconds

4.02 seconds

A 92% time reduction, changing the block type to hash! lowered time by
90% (down to 5 senconds). some details like the way items where added
to the block (insert instead of append), and using repeat instead of
'FOR trimmed about 20% in remaining time, from 5 seconds to 4 seconds.

in other languages, there is usually less elasticity because there is
many times only one way to address such low level things as
setting/finding a value in an array... in rebol there can be many
compatible approaches.

-MAx