I don't know anything about using mysql-protocol.r, but REBOL does have
timeout settings. From the Core manual:

... you can set network timeout values for all of the
schemes (in the default) or for specific schemes. For instance, to increase
the
timeout for all schemes, you can write:

    system/schemes/default/timeout: 0:05

This sets the network timeout for 5 minutes.
If you want to increase the timeout just for SMTP, you would write:

   system/schemes/smtp/timeout: 0:10

Check your current settings you will probably find it is 30 (btw an
integer).

I'm not sure when the timeout setting takes effect - so consider changing
the default timeout before you load mysql-protocol.r as a first attempt.
Separately try:
    system/schemes/mysql/timeout: 60

HTH
Brett