Putting Up Summer's Bounty For Diabetics

Preserving fresh foods of the summer to enjoy later in the year is a
cooking technique as old as cooking itself. Our forefathers dried,
canned, and preserved the bounty of their garden to sustain their
needs in the cold of winter.
Old jars can be used once sterilized, but do invest in new rubber-
sealing lids and new bands. Vinegars can be in recycled glass bottles
with a cork or screw-on-top. Most gourmet shops, shops which
specialize in imported items (such as Pier 1), and some discount
stores have pretty glass bottles made especially for home-made
vinegars.

Sun-Dried Tomatoes, Peaches, or Apricots

When I had a home in the desert, I used to dry tomatoes (and fruit
such as peaches and apricots) outdoors on a rack made of chicken wire
nailed to a wooden frame, covered with a double layer of cheesecloth
to deter the birds from finding it. Each night, I brought the whole
thing indoors to protect it from the evening dew and then once again
outside at first light to catch some more rays. The time it took
depended on the intensity of the full sun they were in and the
moisture content of what I was drying. Since bugs can be a problem
where I now live in Texas, I find that the oven method is easier and
a lot less work.

Set your oven at 200°F (93.3°C). Position the oven racks to where
they divide the oven into thirds. Cut each Roma (plum) tomato in half
lengthwise (same with peaches and apricots, removing the pit). Using
your fingers or a tiny spoon, remove and discard the tomato seeds.
Arrange the tomatoes (peaches or apricots), cut side down, directly
across the oven racks. Close the oven and let the halves dry for 12
to 15 hours or to desired dryness. Store in air-tight self-closing
plastic bags. Use dried tomatoes within 3 months. Refrigerate the
dried peaches and apricots in air-tight self-closing plastic bags.
Diabetic exchanges: 2 dried tomato halves=1 vegetable
2 small dried peach halves=1 carbohydrate (fruit)

2 medium dried apricot halves=1 carbohydrate (fruit)

----------

Tomato Jam
(makes 1 cup)

This is a delicious way to "put up" extra plum (Roma) tomatoes. Serve
it on an omelet, spread over your morning peasant bread toast, or use
it as a topping for your favorite burger. Keep refrigerated and use
within one week.

1 pound (480 g) ripe plum tomatoes
1/4 teaspoon (1.25 ml) crushed dried hot pepper flakes
1/2 teaspoon (2.5 ml) pickling spices
2/3 cup (125 g) sugar
6 tablespoons (90 ml) cider vinegar
1/2 teaspoon (2.5 ml) salt
1/4 teaspoon (1.25 ml) freshly ground pepper

Bring a large saucepan of water to a boil. Add tomatoes and cook for
2 minutes. Drain and plunge tomatoes into a bowl of ice water to stop
the cooking process. Peel the tomatoes and drain on paper towels.
Finely chop tomatoes.
Place the pepper flakes and pickling spices in the center of a 6-inch
(15 cm) square piece of cheesecloth. Tie with kitchen string to form
a spice bag.
In a heavy saucepan, combine chopped tomatoes, spice bag, and
remaining ingredients. Slowly bring to a boil. Reduce heat and
simmer, uncovered, stirring frequently for 30 minutes. (The jam will
be quite thick-the consistency of a thick chutney.)
Remove from heat and discard spice bag. Allow jam to cool. Spoon into
a sterilized glass jar and refrigerate. Use within one week.
Per 1 1/2 tablespoons: 58 calories (0% calories from fat), 0 protein,
0 total fat (0 saturated fat), 15 g carbohydrates, trace dietary
fiber, 104 mg sodium, 0 cholesterol
Diabetic exchanges: 1 carbohydrate (bread/starch)

----------

Strawberry Mint Vinegar
(makes 1 quart)

This is a lovely vinegar to use for salads or to splash onto cooked
vegetables. It was featured in my first cookbook, Kitchen Herbs,
which I co-authored with renowned herb grower, Sal Gilbertie of
Connecticut.

4 cups (600 g) fresh strawberries, crushed
4 large fresh mint leaves
1 quart (1 l) rice vinegar

Put the strawberries in a large, sterilized glass container with a
tight fitting lid. Add the mint leaves.
Warm the vinegar on top of the stove and pour over the strawberries.
Cover and store in a dark, cool place. After 12 hours, remove and
discard the mint leaves.
Re-cover the vinegar and continue to store in a dark, cool place for
another 35 hours. Pour the vinegar through a double layer of
cheesecloth and discard strawberry solids.
Transfer the vinegar to a decorative bottle and cork or seal tightly
with a screw-top lid. Store in a dark, cool place until ready to use
within 1 month.
Per 2 tablespoons (30 ml): contains 2 calories and 1 g carbohydrate
Diabetic exchanges: FREE

----------

Orange-Rosemary Vinegar
(makes 2 cups)

Another favorite from my Kitchen Herbs days. This is particularly
wonderful sprinkled over roasted beets or sliced cucumbers.

1 continuous spiral of orange peel, about 2 inches (5 cm) long
2 large sprigs fresh rosemary, rinsed and drained on paper towels
2 cups (480 ml) red wine vinegar

Place the orange peel and rosemary sprigs in a sterilized glass
bottle with tight fitting lid or cork.
Heat the vinegar on top of the stove and pour into the bottle. Allow
to cool, then seal and store in a dark, cool place. Use within 3
months.
Per 2 tablespoons (30 ml): contains 1 calorie and trace carbohydrate
Diabetic exchanges: FREE